Sometimes people ask me where I get my ideas for writing. I write children -- fiction and nonfiction, so the fiction part of me is always thinking of story plots and characters. I am still at a loss to answer the idea question.
Here are some places that writers often get ideas, but the list is not exhaustive.
- Personal experience from his or her own childhood
- Experiences of the author's children
- Interactions with children through work or volunteering in community service
- Observations of children at the park (library, mall, pool, restaurants, any public place)
- Reflections of characters in children's books and movies
- All of the above
- None of the above
What did I leave off the above list? If you are a fiction writer, where do you get your ideas?
copyright (c) 2013 Carol McAdams Moore