Friday, May 24, 2013

Ideas for Writers


Sometimes people ask me where I get my ideas for writing. I write children -- fiction and nonfiction, so the fiction part of me is always thinking of story plots and characters. I am still at a loss to answer the idea question.




Here are some places that writers often get ideas, but the list is not exhaustive.


  1. Personal experience from his or her own childhood
  2. Experiences of the author's children
  3. Interactions with children through work or volunteering in community service
  4. Observations of children at the park (library, mall, pool, restaurants, any public place)
  5. Reflections of characters in children's books and movies
  6. All of the above
  7. None of the above

What did I leave off the above list? If you are a fiction writer, where do you get your ideas?



copyright (c) 2013 Carol McAdams Moore

No comments: