Monday, May 06, 2013

A Writer's Prayer Chair

Where is your favorite place to pray? What are the benefits of having a familiar, regular place of prayer?

I have a thing for chairs. Several of the chairs I use for my work are garage sale treasures. They feel just right. They cost the right amount, too.


This chair in my office was one of those garage sale finds. For fifteen dollars I secured my prayer chair. In the mornings before I begin writing, I enjoy sweet time reading my Bible and praying. My prayer chair feels like a giant hug as I read, study, and pray. It is also the vantage point of some powerful reminders.


On one side of the chair is a window that overlooks the flowers in our yard. The spring flowers are lush, full of green leaves and colorful blooms. I remember, though, last summer's heat that caused the garden to struggle. Even though I offered water to keep them going, they longed for rain, true refreshment from God. This morning I pray, asking God to refresh me, too. I pray for Him to write through me and to be a better wife and mom through me. I remember this verse:

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.  Colossians 4:2  (NIV) 




I also look across the room at my computer. It beckons me to come and work. This morning I heard the familiar ding of emails registering on my cell phone. I look at the place above my desk where we will hang my great-grandmother's quilt someday. (Everyone has a to do list - right?) Once again I remember that things that matter take time. Beautiful things are not created in a frantic hurry of accomplishment. I sit back in my prayer chair, relishing the precious early morning moments with God.


*******

Tweetables

Where is your favorite place to pray?   Tweet this!

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.  Colossians 4:2   (NIV)   Tweet this!

What are the benefits of having a familiar, regular place of prayer?   Tweet this!

*******

Notes from Carol


I am beginning a new blog schedule:

Sundays - Praisin' Jesus
Mondays - Notes & Doodles
Tuesdays - My Books
Wednesdays - Fun 4 Tweens
Thursdays - It's a Sign
Fridays - A Writer's Heart
Saturdays - Tween Ministry

I hope you will stop back often! Let's connect on Twitter and Facebook, too!



P.S. These days I am busy writing two devotional books for Zonderkidz. Will you pray with me about the devos? You can sign up to be a prayer partner on the right. I won't share your contact info. Promise.


*******


copyright (c) 2013 Carol McAdams Moore





No comments: