- children's groups at church
- family devotion time
- an empty plastic jar (One with a wide mouth works best.)
- small amount of duct tape
- another container or bag to hold the pennies until they are used
- Sunday School lesson, devotion material, focus Bible story
- Prepare the jar by washing and drying it.
- Add a single strip of duct tape around the middle of the jar.
- Gather pennies
- Choose the Bible materials (stories, lessons, devotions)
How to Do the Activity
- Read the story of the widow's gift in Luke 21:1-4.
- Explain that even small amounts of giving add up. (In this case, the widow's giving was not small to her.)
- Explain that the Every Penny Counts activity will be ongoing. After reading a Bible story, lesson, or devotional reading, you will ask questions. Every correct answer will earn a penny in the jar.
- Together choose where the funds will go (missions, local food pantry, purchase of items for Operation Christmas Child box).
- When the jar is full, have students guess the amount of money collected.
- Count the money and then contribute it to the agreed-upon area of giving. As a group, pray for the recipients of the money.
- Reward children with a free time party.
- Repeat with the jar and new pennies.
- Add in Math! Have the kids add on the amount of money earned at each sitting for a running total.
- Have multiple jars of graduating sizes, each with a different color tape. Explain that after completing one level (perhaps green), they will be moving on to the next level (of a different color).
Notes from Carol
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you will come back often! Let's connect on Twitter and Facebook too!
copyright (c) 2013 Carol McAdams Moore